We earn revenue from affiliate links on our site. We strive to keep our site updated, so if you notice any broken links, please tell us.
This is a guide to popular Google Analytics alternatives. If you enjoy it, check out the rest of our site to find the business software you need.
Why use a Google Analytics Alternative?
Companies move away for Google Analytics for three main reasons. For smaller entrepreneurs, it is sometimes too complex to figure out or too much, especially if you have a simple site or a WordPress blog. Second, many companies need to be EU GDPR and Cookie Directive compliant and want an analytics solution that fits within those parameters. Lastly, many companies just want something more robust without resorting to multiple tools.
Best Privacy Conscious Alternatives to Google Analytics
These are for business owners who want an analytics solution that comes with GDPR compliance and a commitment to privacy. For the most part, if you do not want a company to sell your data you should expect to pay a monthly fee for analytics, although there are some companies on this list with open-source options. They charge differently, so do some research.
- Fathom: they tout a fast dashboard and a lightweight analytics platform.
- Plausible.io: another lightweight and privacy-conscious platform, they have a lot of e-commerce integrations.
- Matomo (formerly Piwik): They have a cloud hosting platform that has a monthly fee or you can download and run the open-source platform for free yourself. If you have a developer on staff already this could be a great alternative.
- Simple Analytics: an easy setup process, they focus on the basics.
WordPress Alternatives to Google Analytics
There are a number of simple WordPress plugins that can stand in for Google Analytics. The simplest free option is Jetpack, a suite of WordPress tools made by WordPress themselves. You can search for it right from the WordPress Dashboard.
Another alternative for a more robust solution is Matomo for WordPress. The free version is excellent, and the paid version is useful for people with multiple sites. If neither of those two options strikes your fancy, there are plenty of free and paid plugins int he plugin directory.
Paid Alternatives to Google Analytics
These companies are in the regular web analytics business, but some of them concentrate on different parts or offer more marketing options, like heat maps. Many of them have free plans for small sites and some of them have been around for a very long time.
SaaS In-App Metrics and Product Analysis Alternatives to Google Analytics
If you’re building a web app or SaaS product, you want to know how your users are using it, what they are clicking on, and how they interact within it. For that reason, you might want to check out the products below which are tailored to keep track of app metrics.
- Amplitude: a business intelligence platform, they have a discount for qualified startups.
- Mixpanel: a very popular option for web apps and SaaS companies.
- Heap.io: they help you understand your users and identify problem areas.
Check out other posts from the No-Nonsense blog
- Email Marketing Vendor AWeber Launches a Free Plan
- How to Calculate the Cost of Hiring a New Employee
- How to Use a Payroll Service Provider to Take the Fear out of Hiring Your First Employee
- A Roundup of the Current Top Website Creation Tools and Fast Prototyping Page Builders
- Square Updates Pricing Plans on Square for Restaurants and Square for Retail
Sign up for Startup Deals
Get the best offers and tips right in your inbox.
Revenue Disclosure: We’re upfront people, so we want to be upfront with how we make money. We make money through affiliate links and ads. How do we NOT earn money? We DON’T get paid to add companies to our categories or sell email addresses. That means no one can pay us to put them on the list in any category, move them higher up the list, or change what we say about them. We want small businesses and entrepreneurs to trust us to point them in the right direction, and we’re proud of the fact that this is a guarantee you won’t see on other websites.